It’s important to start your mornings off right with a filling, healthy breakfast. Becky and I are breaking down our favorite go-to recipes that help us start our mornings off right.
Here are some of our personal favorites:
- Spinach and Egg Breakfast Sandwich
- Yogurt Parfait
- Avocado on Toast
- Granola Bars
- Hard-Boiled Eggs
Recipes and Tips
Becky’s Morning Oatmeal
1/2 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
1 Cup 2% Milk of choice
1 Scoop Low Sugar Protein Powder
1 TBSP Ground Flaxseeds
Dash of Cinnamon
- Measure 1/2 cup old fashioned oats and 1 cup 2% milk of choice into a microwave-safe bowl or large mug. Stir, cover loosely and microwave for 90 seconds. Remove and stir and continue microwaving an additional 90 seconds.
- Time to Add some toppings – 1 scoop low sugar protein powder (Becky loves chocolate, but you could add whichever you prefer), 1 Tablespoon ground flax seeds, and a dash of cinnamon.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Top with 1 Tablespoon chopped nuts and 1 Tablespoon of cacao nibs or mini dark chocolate chips. Yum!
Spinach and Egg Breakfast Sandwich
1/4 Cup Frozen, Chopped Spinach
Pepper and Hot sauce, to taste
2 Slices of Whole Grain Bread
- Beat 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites in a bowl. Add 1/4 cup frozen chopped spinach and stir.
- Spray a large, wide soup mug with nonstick cooking spray. Dump egg mixture into mug. Sprinkle it with black pepper and a dash or two of hot sauce.
- Cover loosely and microwave for 1 minute. Remove from the microwave and stir, breaking up spinach. Return to the microwave for another 90 seconds.
- Meanwhile, toast two slices of whole grain, seeded bread. Butter each slice lightly.
- Remove cooked egg from the microwave and turn onto toast. Cool for a few minutes then top with the second slice of toast and enjoy!
Start with some unsweetened Greek yogurt in a bowl.
Sweeten to taste with honey.
Add toppings! Allison’s favorite are berries with some low-sugar granola
Avocado on Toast
Toast some hearty whole wheat bread in the toaster.
Add a nice thick layer of avocado on top. Salt and pepper to taste.
Additional toppings are up to you! Try adding a hard boiled egg for extra protein, some hot sauce for some kick, or a sprinkle of cheese for flavor.
Not all granola bars are created equal. When choosing a granola bar for breakfast, make sure to check the label for fiber and sugar.
Why check for fiber? Higher fiber will keep you fuller longer.
Why check for sugar? A lot of sugar will not sustain you throughout your morning. So make sure the bar has 10 grams of added sugar or less.
Some good brands to check out:
- Kind Bars
- Luna Bars
Comment below with your favorite quick and healthy recipes!