Becky and I are breaking down our favorite go-to lunch recipes that keep us going through our day.
Here are some of our favorites:
- Lettuce Wraps
- Egg Salad Sandwich
- Pesto Veggie Sandwich
- Black Bean Wrap
- Build Your Own Salad
Recipes and Tips
For the Filling –
1 lb. ground chicken
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tbsp fresh ginger
1 large head of lettuce
For the Sauce –
1.5 tsp sesame oil
Sriracha, to taste
2 tsp rice vinegar
3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
3 tbsp hoisin sauce
2/4 cup chopped green onions
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add in garlic and ginger. Cook for about one minute, then add the chicken.
- While the chicken cooks, prepare the sauce – in a bowl, whisk together the sesame oil, sriracha, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and hoisin sauce.
- Add in the sauce to the chicken and reduce heat to simmer.
- Stir in diced green onions and allow sauce to thicken.
- Remove chicken mixture from the heat.
- Wash and dry lettuce leaves, then add about 1/3 cup of the mixture to each leaf.
Egg Salad Sandwich
For a healthier version of egg salad, try replacing the mayonnaise with nonfat Greek yogurt and using slices of whole grain bread!
Add a dash of hot sauce for some spice, or mustard for a bit of tang.
Pesto Veggie Sandwich
Whole grain baguette
½ small sweet onion chopped
1 red bell pepper
1/3 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
2 tbsps. pesto
Salt and black pepper to taste
- Slice the baguette in half, then slice into the four segments
- Meanwhile, combine onions, bell pepper, and Kalamata olives in a bowel. Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Spread the vegetables into the bottom of the bread, being mindful not to get too much of the liquid from the veggies.
- Spread pesto on the top side and drizzle balsamic vinegar over the veggies. Enjoy!
Black Bean Wrap
1 large whole grain tortilla
1/3 cup salsa (use your favorite!)
1/3 cup black beans (rinsed and drained if you’re using a can)
¼ avocado, chopped
1 cup arugula (or other favorite leafy green)
Sprinkle of shredded cheese
- Warm tortilla in the microwave for 30 seconds
- Add salsa, black beans, avocado, and cheese, then top with the arugula.
- Tuck the ends of the tortilla then wrap it tight.
- Cut in half and enjoy!
Build Your Own Salad
Here are some ideas for building a delicious, easy salad for your lunches.
Start with your favorite leafy green (like spinach, lettuce, arugula, kale, etc.) Next, add some toppings. These are just a few common ingredients to add:
Veggies – carrots, onions, bell pepper, broccoli, cucumbers, celery, avocado
Dried or fresh fruit for some added sweetness – blueberries, raisins, oranges, mangos, apples, raspberries, strawberries
Whole grains – quinoa, brown rice, barley, farro
Protein – tofu, walnuts, almonds, chicken, shrimp, cheese, hardboiled eggs
Finish it off with your favorite salad dressing!
Comment below with your favorite quick, healthy lunches!